An Organized Plot to Have Students Attempt to Make Sense of Disorganized Poetry

My first impressions of The Dodo’s Conundrum was that it wasn’t worth the effort in deciphering whatever intentional, or shameless mess of literature was in front of me in order to better understand what the author was trying to get across. I feel like I now understand the general idea of the work, but it wasn’t easy, and this is a good example of poetry that isn’t of much use to most people. It’s sort of esoteric, but not in a sense of references and allusions, but just as far as the way the author is thinking, and it takes a while to grasp. The sign of a good poem is when its lines can have multiple correct interpretations, but there is still an immediately apparent theme to most people who read it. It seemed to be popular opinion that this here poem was too densely packed with ideas so that it was not clear. Although, to whoever wrote this, I applaud them in creating a thinking experience than I can only explain like putting a portal on the ceiling and floor and jumping through. At one part I found myself running through thoughts very rapidly as I moved from word to word. It was, not quite imagism, but sort of the opposite, where my mind was trying to make sense of the obscure by launching my consciousness down every possible meaning behind every word building on the sentence, and simultaneously snapping back to the starting point so I could venture down another. It was a truly exhilarating experience, and I thank you with presenting me with this cryptically verbose social commentary. It was a lot of fun, and I suppose I must have struck the perfect balance between skimming over stuff I don’t want to process, and taking too long to read something so that I don’t read another word because I haven’t figured out the current line. I was observing new words just as I was almost done processing the last, while reading words that don’t make enough sense for me to stop thinking about what they could have meant before moving on, and it led to uninterrupted state of verbal dissection. Too bad it only happened once.

Needless to say, this was not a simple task to fill out the questions in Sound and Sense. I had to interpret a little, and once again, I was at first misguided on what I thought the poem was trying to accomplish. I can’t say whether this was harder or easier for Eldorado, because it was sort of the same thing. The author’s intentions had to be spoon fed to me for me to really understand. Some poetry I think I won’t understand as intended in a million years if it wasn’t pointed out. That’s okay though because I have plenty of other meaningful things to do with my time. If only I actually could get up and do them.