Blog 15: Thoreau’s Attempt

Not going to lie I literally almost fell asleep while readingĀ  these excepts, it was a struggle getting through them. There was one really clear connection between Thoreau’s thoughts and Emerson’s to me. The connection is that Emerson talked about how nothings perfect and that everybody should want to be unique and that you should embrace your own uniqueness, then Thoreau talked about how you should care what king of how you live in whether its nice or not the only thing that matters are the memories made and the quality of life. To me they were pretty much say something very similar but just using different analogies to get the point across. I think they both mean that you shouldn’t care how different you are you should just care about making yourself happy and make good memories to remember while your’e at it. The beginning portion and the conclusion are very much connected. It starts off with him gazing at the water to then burrowing into the earth, just as expert shows a progress from observation to contemplation. There could be so many benefits of leaving society behind, like then you would have to live up to its social standards and you could just be yourself. Also another benefit would be that then there would be constant anxiety from the societies environment. Honesty if I were to do this I would miss my phone of course because I like to be in the loop of things, I would also miss seeing what the ridiculous social standard would be because sometimes they’re a bit extra and it funny. Even though I would miss a lot of thing I think I could definitely do it and it would probably be good for me to just get away from societies stresses for a little bit, actually it would probably help a lot of people when I think about it. I think the big thing that modern readers should take out of this should be that nothing will ever be perfect, especially people. They should also take out of this that its okay to be unique because that’s what nature intended.

Related image