song of myself

My first reaction when reading ‘song of myself’ was very confusing The first section wasn’t bad but when my group got a section to analyze, that’s when it got challenging. It’s hard as it is to try to interpret someone else’s thoughts but, when you’re in a group trying to do it all together it’s even harder.  I really thought we were done with poetry in this class but obviously, I was wrong. I feel that this is the only thing we’ll do.  My group was assigned to section 6 of the poem. In this section the main topic was grass. Mostly that grass acts as a metaphor for society. Whitman’s devotion to a Transcendentalist philosophy makes it difficult to understand what he’s trying to say. You can think of a lot of different things about what it means but everyone has a different view. To me, this affects his writing because he’s trying to make every little thing come back to transcendentalism even when it doesn’t really make sense. The lines in my section that I feel are the most important are the first few. “A child said What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands; How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he.”  This sets the mood for the poem. Very questioning throughout the whole thing. The second part of the poem is now about death. What I got from it is that everything is a cycle, it all comes together in the end. The part that supports that is, “They are alive and well somewhere, The smallest sprout shows there is really no death”. So the meaning of grass makes more sense later on.  Since it is later on and we have already read the poem as a class and did things with our group, I’m not having as many difficulties. The poem gives a good message about life in general that everyone should take into play sometime in their lifetime. Besides that, my gif examples perfectly how I feel during this lesson. Confused.