Blog 20: Frogs, Finn, and iMom

“The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”, was an interesting story at the very least. My experience was pretty much identical to what McGarry had mentioned; When first reading it, you don’t understand the joke. This freaking Simon Wheeler guy was trolling this random upper class gent. When first reading it, I had no idea. Wheeler is described as being dumb, so the narrator immediately looks down upon him and treats him like one would with a child. But when in reality, Wheeler was the smartest on in the story¬†(don’t judge a book by its cover).¬† The writing itself especially helped establish the idea that wheeler wasn’t the brightest. The whole time he was talking with improper grammar with a dialect associated with hicks. Who aren’t known for being the brightest. But because this is from the narrator’s point of view, we don’t know how exact the dialogue actually is. Maybe he wrote Wheeler’s dialogue like this in order to make the point that he was obviously uneducated. Which brings us to “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”. I have absolutely no idea of what to expect. I know absolutely nothing bout the novel except that it was written by Mark Twain, and it takes place sometime in the pre-Civil War era. But I think now that I have more of a basis in satire, and Twain’s writing style, It’ll hopefully be easier to identify certain aspects of the story. Not gonna lie, iMom was a really weird and decently morally just messed up video. It was pretty shocking, you know the whole chicken and baby thing. It also got me thinking that our reliance on and advances in technology could easily lead to something like that actually happening. It’s entirely feasible that we could develop more advanced AI like that in the very near future if not my own life span. It also made me sad because it highlighted bad candidates for parents who got an iMom to take care of their baby which is sure to lead to psychological problems later in that infants life. I’d say that parents and society in general were the one’s being satirized.

0 comments on “Blog 20: Frogs, Finn, and iMomAdd yours →