Blog: Civil Disobedience

I agree with the statement: “that government is best which governs least”. I believe that the government should be there for emergencies, and for decisions that will adversely affect the whole nation. I think that in some situations, the government has too much power. But I believe that people should be able to dictate a lot of their own lives. I believe that the power should go to the people, as a Democracy should be run. I believe in a lot of personal liberties. Hence; “government of the people, by the people, for the people”.

In regards to:  “Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it. . .”. the type of government that commands my respect is of course, Democracy. Once again, the people should have a say in the decisions and choices that will affect their daily lives. The people shouldn’t have to follow all of the sayings and laws of one individual, or a small group. People who live like that, live in fear of prosecution for having their own ideas of human liberties. It’s an inhumane and immoral way of living that violates the unalienable right of speech. Even if it’s not a physical prison (although sometimes it is), people who can’t speak their mind, and voice their opinions, are prisoners.

There are a few roles that Civil Disobedience has in society today. It’s a way of protesting that exercises your first amendment right (at least in America; some country’s governments will throw you in jail). It’s a way of getting your ideas out there so they can be heard by the general populace, but more importantly, the government. So the government will actually know what the people want or need. It’s a peaceful way of protesting that’s not meant to damage anyone or anything. I believe that it’s still effective for some of these reasons. Unless things get out of hand, the government isn’t going to persecute you. Plus, as I stated, It’s not ill in nature. People aren’t going out there to hurt others or damage property.

0 comments on “Blog: Civil DisobedienceAdd yours →