Blog 10, Back to Analysis

My first impressions of “The Dodo’s Conundrum” is as usual when it comes to poetry, confusion. I had no idea what pretty much any of it meant the first time I read it.  But nonetheless, I’m proud of myself. It definitely took less read through’s than usual to start to understand it. Emphasis on start. In regards to to the theme, I have a general idea, I know what it the theme has to do with. But what SPECIFICALLY, the theme is, is kind of stumping me. I’ve gathered that it has something to do with going through life being unhappy with your situation. Whether the theme be, not being able to do anything about it, or maybe choosing not to do anything about it, I don’t know. I think the only major component of the poem that’s confusing me, is probably the choice of stanza form. It’s because of how much the style/form varies. It will have a stanza with a set stanzaic form, and then it seems to go all over the place. I just want to know why! I think the Sound and Sense questions were both harder and easier for different aspects. Because now that we’ve done a lot more on poetry in general, I’m a bit more accustomed to and familiar with the analyzing portion. So I knew what to look for. But then again, The Dodo’s Conundrum is a bit more complicated of a poem than Eldorado. Plus, The Dodo’s Conundrum is an original poem by Mcgarry, so it’s not like you can ask google what a certain line or phrase means. I think writing poetry has affected both how I read, and analyzed this poem. Once again, I appreciate the work it takes to create a poem. But now as I’m reading, habitually, I’m looking for little things such as a rhyme pattern. Or on a bigger scale, things like the stanzaic form. Then when I see something that seems off or doesn’t make sense, I try to see if that certain aspect repeats itself. But usually, it’s just small things, but it’s still progress!

0 comments on “Blog 10, Back to AnalysisAdd yours →