Blog 7, independent reading, part 1, The Hobbit

The book, the Hobbit, is in my opinion, kind of a literary masterpiece. It has so many elements that are so well done. Most books these days, don’t have the same effect on me as books like the Hobbit. With books these days, and depending on what I’m reading, I don’t have to actively engage with the test too thoroughly. Even in middle school, I could read young adult literature quite quickly. If i was dedicated enough, I could sit down and read something like the Hunger Games in one day. Yeah I enjoyed all these books, but It didn’t take much effort to understand exactly what was going. This is mainly because of how of how clearly everything was defined. With something like the Hobbit, it also didn’t take too much time to read. But I had to stop and re-read certain phrases or even whole pages because of how expertly Tolkien inserted details in a subtle manner. Also I can genuinely say I was interested and hooked the entire time. This is even though I’ve actually read before several times which should say something about Tolkien’s writing. But because I’ve read it before, reading it again filled me with so much nostalgia, It took a bit for me to get through even the first page. The ending of the first paragraph goes as following, “and that means comfort”. Reading this book filled me with nostalgia and reminded me of old times, “and that means comfort”.  This was also part of why I decided to read it, because I hadn’t read it for years, and I wanted to see if it really was different from the last time I read it. This stayed relatively true, It seems that every time I read it, It just gets better and better. Before reading it, I of course knew that it was a good book that I was going to enjoy thoroughly. Then while reading it, every time I got to an action packed scene such as the encounter with the three trolls, or with the orcs throughout the book, I was always excited and kept thinking to myself, “so this is what I’ve been missing”. Actually not even only the action scenes, the high tension, or dramatic scenes made me feel the same way. But one that sticks out, is of course Bilbo’s encounter with Smeagle/Gollum. I was so nervous the entire time for Bilbo’ sake. Then after I finished the book, I felt sort of empty. I became so invested in these characters and this world, just for it all to come to an end. But as for the characters, I’d say I empathized with the most everyone in the party. At first, it was mainly Bilbo because he was thrown into the wild and living in conditions he was certainly not used to. He was pretty pampered and went from having seven meals a day to sometimes not having a single one. Plus he lived his whole life living with a roof over his head and now he was subjected to the elements for the first time. Not to mention all the dangers of the world! The Shire was very peaceful and most certainly didn’t have creatures constantly trying to kill and/or eat you. But I also emphasize with The Dwarves, but mainly Thorin. The Dwarves had their home taken from them by Smaug. Then Thorin’s father and Grandfather were killed. Then after all of this, Thorin had to deal with having a tiny, unskilled, and inexperienced party to help him reclaim his home. The fantasy genre as a whole isn’t for everyone, but for those who enjoy it, I wholeheartedly recommend the Hobbit. It’s a very interesting, and masterfully written story that kept me on the edge of my seat even though I’ve read it several time before

0 comments on “Blog 7, independent reading, part 1, The HobbitAdd yours →