Blog 3, DnTW

“The Devil and Tom Walker”, not to say the least, was a very interesting short story. For one, because of when it was written (1824), the language used is very different from authors I’m used to reading works by. I actually had to look up the meaning of a surprising amount of words.  But along with the language being different, social controversies were also different. This was highlighted by Irving taking the time to write about slavery and how he was against it. Plus while reading it, I learned how to add comments into google docs, a skill i’ll be using religiously from now on. It’s similar to several Stephen King books because in both, there’s an infamous man in black that usually an antagonist. But it’s also different than a lot of works because in my experience, the main protagonist usually ends up changing his ways. In this one, Tom was entirely greedy, selfish, and fake up to the very end. The society in the story seems quite bleak to me though. No one was mentioned to be happy. Tom and his Wife were in a terrible relationship and people back then were also having financial troubles.  But above all, I found it comical how unfazed everyone was in regard to the Devil and the supernatural things that happened because of him. I mean I understand that the story takes place during 1727, which was quite a while ago. But still, some of it is kind of ridiculous. I believe Irving wrote this story for two main reasons. The first one is to show people that nothing good comes from greed, and the second was to show how bad slavery is. If I were to modify the story to adjust to a modern internment, the first thing I’d do is to change the vocabulary to more recognizable/used terms. But besides that and maybe changing the setting to a more modern time, a lot of the things in the story are still relevant today. For example, there are still unhappy marriages (probably more), and people are still driven by their greed for money today.

0 comments on “Blog 3, DnTWAdd yours →