Song of Myself is probably one of the best poems that we have done so far. It’s easy to understand and talks about easier understandable stuff. I like how the entire poem is written throughout his life and you can see how much his writing and him as a person had changed. The first section my group was assigned is about getting through the tough times and obstacles trying to hold you back during life. But it also talks about not letting all these bad things change who you are and changing in what you believe in. It also relates to transcendentalism because it talks about how much we advance as human beings when it says. “The latest dates, discoveries, inventions, societies, authors old and new.” Another important line from this section is when Walt Whitman says,”Looking with side-curved head curious what will come next.” This line is basically saying that he is excited for the future because there’s always a chance that things can get better. This section is important because it gives good advice to the reader and the port was probably going through something similar to what was written in the poem. Section 17 was a short one. At first, the poem talks about the poet’s thoughts and saying that he did not originate the way he thinks and acts, he says, “These are really the thoughts of all men in all ages and lands.” This can be said about most beliefs and ideas today, that they were all previously thought of back then. Then I think the rest of the poem talks about the people or “obstacles” that you’ll encounter in your life. He then says if they can’t help you get out of bad situation you’re in, or what problem you’re dealing with, they don’t matter. I don’t think section 17 related to transcendentalism as much as section 4 does, but it still has some. I think the transcendentalism ideas in this section relate to becoming better as an individual. There is one line in section 4 that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. It says, “Looks down, is erect, or bends an arm on an impalpable certain rest.” This didn’t make much sense to me.

Image result for walt whitman