week 3

When I first read the book, I did not understand it all the way. After going over it, thew book is dark and messed up. It is similar to things that I have read in the past. Not the story itself, but the way it has hidden messages. The impression of society that I got was it is a lot deeper than I would of imagined. Tom sold his soul to the devil and that is why is he forced to be mean and have no mercy. The story is also different from most things I read. It isn’t a book I would ever read on my own but only in class. The story presented society as bad, boring, greedy people. I think the author wrote this story to show how greedy people really are. Both the husband and wife are willing to steal each others valuables to try and make a deal with the devil. Tom is so desperate for the treasure that he sells his soul to the devil and in the end it does not work out. The point he was trying to make is people are greedy and having is all set in life does not make you happy. If I could change the story, I would make it more modern so people my age could understand it better. Like people my age do not really know who the Puritans are. It would help understanding it better if I could relate. I could keep the same concept but make it more exciting. The story right now is boring and hard to follow a long. I would have Tom live out this crazy life ( because the devil is granting him wishes or something) just to have the devil come knocking on his door when he is in his older in life. It would depict him as an old, greedy, unhappy man would regrets making this deal because now he has to live in hell with his wife for the rest of eternity. The ending would be comical because Tom was trying to get away from his wife, but in the end, he ends up with her.