My first thoughts on this poem were around the lines of disgust because analyzing poetry is similar to trying to walk across a rope while juggling chainsaws. For both I am sure that I would make a mistake. I was under the impression that we were done with poetry and I was crossing my fingers that we were nearing the end of transcendentalism with the divinity school address. Even if I did like that by the end, didn’t mean I enjoyed analyzing it. Maybe the same can be told of this poem, I might learn to like it after I shove it into my mind enough. My group had gotten section 6, which was filled with lines that described our society either learning for the better or worse from past society. It described the society as “grass” which I thought amusing because of course Tyler asked what are the people stepping on the grass. Wittman’s devotion to transcendentalism allows him to describe the society as grass. Of course that’s what he describes it as, sad part is it makes sense. It also allowed him to reference Christianity in his work and linking both together. Of course this duo makes the best piece of work. I think that the most important lines in our section were coming from the first stanza. “A child said What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he.” I think that these two lines have to be the most important ones in the section because it sets up the rest of the section and allows the reader to understand what they are preparing themselves for. Although, no one is really prepared to read this stuff. Saying that the child is the societies future which would allow the section to speak on society in the past and society now and talk about how the new society years from now will only develop how we make it to be. And like a child, the society will be easily influence by its parent’s (the societies it came from.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKH3W7tiGbg