To this day I can still not pronounce Transcendentalism, but that doesn’t hold me back from trying to understand what it means. The question is am I really understanding the concept of Transcendentalism the way it should be? After reading Thoreau’s excerpts I can conclude that Emerson and him are very similar thinking men. They both believe that people should not conform to what the general public is doing and be there own person, and they both believe that the true way to gain happiness is in nature. The first part of Thoreau’s excerpt titled “Where I lived and what I lived for” explains where he lived in his life. He explains how he used to live in a house and would browse properties always using his imagination as if he would own all of the properties around where he lived. Then he decided that he would get more out of life if he left his life behind and went to live in the woods. He believed he’d be able to see life more clearly if he would get closer to where life began. “The conclusion” is the second part of the excerpt and explains what he had learned from his experience of living in the woods. The main idea of the conclusion is to explain about how wealth does not determine your happiness and that it doesn’t matter to obtain a healthy soul. The benefits of leaving society for Thoreau is that he no longer has to worry about being an unhealthy man and doesn’t have to worry about anyone’s social status. He can just allow himself to be one with nature and use the experience to learn. The things that I would miss are showers, air condition, wifi, and everything in between. Assuming I am doing away with my cellphone as well I would miss the ability to play music on my own whim. In all honesty I could not do it because like my entire generation I am accustomed to the technology that surrounds my life and if it were gone I would go insane. A modern reader should see that you should not rely on your technology even if it is useful. You should allow yourself to see nature for what it is even if it is just on occasion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/features/red-dead-redemption-2-extended-gameplay-preview-day-rockstars/