blog 10

My first impression of Dodo’s conundrum was something of pride, I actually sort of maybe understand what the poem is about. I know I probably got the theme wrong, but I do understand what the stanza forms were meant for. The first part of the poem it starts out talking about model trains and that reminded me of something that Mr. Mcgarry said during class about a poem about model trains meaning something different so that clicked inside my head it helped me understand the poem more. I thought that the theme was perspective, but I’m sure that it is something deeper than that. I’m keeping my answer because I think I’m pretty close and I cannot really put my finger on it. I didn’t really find most of the poem confusing besides the theme, but that’s only because I normally have trouble finding the theme of different works. Due to me writing my own poetry I have a better understanding of sound and sense so it made it much easier discovering different parts of the poem. Although, I am still no means a master of poetry. I do have a better understanding than before I wrote my own works. It was a hands on way to teach it and I like that, and I feel like it worked pretty well. I had experience with writing my own poetry learning about different ways to add rhyme schemes and what I could do with different stanzas. I learned that there has to be a reason for free verse. Listening to what Joe and William say about it during journalism was a big help because they actually know what they are doing with poetry and when I hear what they are saying it helps me get a better understanding of what I am reading. Will told me about a poem they were thinking about with Fire and Ice that reminded me of what Dodo’s conundrum did. Ice was going to be stanza

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/raphus-cucullatus-extinct-dodo-bird-science-source.html?product=round-beach-towel

and fire was going to be free verse. It reminded me that it isn’t just free verse for giggles or anything.