At first, I was rather mad after reading “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” because it felt like my time had been completely wasted. Upon further discussion and re-reading however, I realized more about the characters and the actual point of the story. Wheeler is trying to waste the narrators time because he has been treated as if he is below the narrator. After I came to understand this, I was able to appreciate the humor in the story and the different writing techniques used by Mark Twain. Twain’s use of diction to contrast the to characters is actually quite clever. The reader, myself included, is lead to believe that Wheeler is going to be a fool, based off his appearance and style of language, but in reality he is no fool at all. The short story effectively conveys the theme of “don’t judge a book by its cover”. I know very very little about “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”. Based on previous knowledge, I know that Finn and Tom Sawyer are two of the main characters, and that the book is a satire on the culture of the south during such a time period. After reading Twain’s short story, I fully expect that diction will be one of the main tools in his arsenal while writing the story. This expectations of mine is also boosted by the fact that the two characters are southerners, and it would be fair to say that the south is the most stereotyped of any area in the United States. I expect that Mark Twain will also tackle some heavier topics such as racism since he is criticizing the culture of the south; this is another reason I expect diction to be one of Twain’s most important tools. In the film short, “IMom”, we watched today, two things were being satirized: parenting and modern technology. It effectively presented issues in both modern parenting and our reliance on technology. I agree that often times technology can take away from human interaction, and that this may have negative consequences down the road. One criticism I do have, however, is about the foreshadowing. The foreshadowing was painfully obvious and I knew for certain what was going to¬† happen at the end of the story within the first few minutes of the vignette.