Vertigo Review

I think this psychological thriller is a very different and cool concept than what had been around. I like the use of lighting and camera effects, life when Scotty looks down and experiences his vertigo, and when they present Judy as the ghost of Madeline. I don’t like the ending of the film, it’s very unsatisfying to have a nun in the picture being so unresponsive to Judy’s death. It is very erie, but I guess that’s what Hitchcock was trying to accomplish after all. I think this film definitely did a really good job doing what it set out to accomplish, and I wouldn’t be disappointed if I had taken time to watch this outside of class. Definitely ahead of its time, and I can appreciate the cinematography because of that, they didn’t have computers to help them with the editing so it was all thought through carefully and executed in the shot. The musical score was also impressive, they most likely had to commission an orchestra to play all of that for them, and I like how the music lined up with scenes, guiding our emotions. Like when it got dark and suspenseful while Judy was in the bathroom fixing her hair up to look just like Madeline’s had. Then when she appears it switches tones and Scotty becomes almost entranced with seeing her. The ghost effect once again was impressive, and I’d like to know how they accomplished that in the film process. For a modern audience, I wouldn’t change too much, some things are better off left untouched. I think our class and our generation can still appreciate this film the way it is, of course it’s not for everybody, but it wasn’t meant to be anyways. If there had to be changes to make it more accessible for people nowadays, I would make the vertigo effects a little more crazy, easier to edit with the computer so could present it in a different, maybe more attention grabbing way. I would keep the plot the same no matter what though since that’s what makes it so interesting and shocking to some.