song of myself

My initial impressions are that this man really dedicated most of his life to the transcendentalist ideals he wanted to follow. He had real dedication and understanding unlike the kind of people he mentioned that talked but never took action or made excuses for their lack of dedication. The section we were assigned is towards the end of his life. It was difficult to interpret his thoughts and looking back on his life. The overall purpose of him following all of his beliefs and whether they payed off off or not was a bit confusing. I was not sure if he was expecting god to talk to him then or if he believed he would be connected with him after his death. Whitman’s devotion to this Transcendentalist philosophy affects his work because he sees and observes others who are less devoted, and does not argue with them but focuses on his own journey and reaching his goals. It’s nice that he is not focused on convincing others to do the same as him but instead he waits for them to have the realization that we all need to better ourselves for the world to be better. In sections 51 and 52, the lines “You will hardly know who I am or what I mean but I shall be good health to you nevertheless”. After he goes he must believe he will be part of something bigger than himself, able to help people past his time. It’s important that we know he believes his lifestyle has gotten him somewhere and is still a very positive thing to him. Even as he passes he is focused on the betterment of people and returning to the nature that he loves after his full life. As he said about his life and experiences, “I have fill’d them, emptied them. And proceed to fill my next fold of the future. Once again he is content with the way he has lived and wishes to carry on “filling his next fold” after he passes. This should be motivating to anyone considering a similar lifestyle, seeing that someone who followed it so closely never regretted anything about it once he reached the end of his journey here on earth.