I somewhat agree with this and somewhat do not agree with this “Civil Obedience” excerpt by Thoreau. I think that the government should have control but not so much that it should affect the lives of the people, so much that they have to change to listen to what the government says. That would be out of hand. The role of the government is to maintain society and keep control over the people. They also have a role to help people as a whole. I think that this would be a good thing to be put in place instead of total control. As of individual citizens, I do not think they should be able to control us and our lives as individual citizens. I think the kind of government that would command respect would be a government that listens to people’s beliefs and values. It should not inflict people lives and what they are able to do with it. If the government is harming people rather than helping people, would not be the kind of government that we should have. Civil disobedience allows modern protest movements and people in those protests to exercise their right to freedom of speech and speak up about what they think is right. I do think civil disobedience is still effective today. It is completely okay for people to argue with what they want in the world. There are many movements that have happened across the world because of the people who stand up for what they want and what they believe.  Ever since the beginning of time people have always argued about things. I’m sure the cavemen even did it. I think civil disobedience was more noticeable what it first came about. People share common things and when the first person came out saying that they were against something, I am sure that other people agreed with them and that is how we got to protest.  I think civil disobedience is very important for people to know. People should know that they have the right to say what they want and protest what they want because it is what they believe.