Thoreau’s thoughts and Emerson’s thoughts are very similar. Emerson thought that you could connect with nature. He believed that nature could help you see clearly and live up to your greatest potential. Thoreau too his beliefs and spent two years in the woods. They both believe that there can be a connection between man and nature. They both also hate society and the way it portrays how people should be. Emerson believes in being yourself no matter what society tells you. The main idea of Thoreau’s “Where I Lived, What I Lived For,” is that we should live our lives how we want to. In “The Conclusion,” he believes that being honest and poor is better than being a cheating rich person. He describes how being rich is not a bad thing. As long as you are happy. The benefits of leaving society would be that one would not have to deal with people who look at them differently or people that think they are different because of the way they act. In the woods, that person can express themselves in whichever way they want to. They can be who they want. Also, they could see if society is the real problem of why they feel the way that they do. On the other hand, I do not think I could live in the woods even if someone paid me a million dollars. I guess it would depend on how long I would be staying there. If it was anywhere longer than a week, I do not think I would survive. I think I could at least maybe give it a try. I feel like most people do not think that transcendentalism relates to today’s modern world. The idea of basically detoxing our life is important. You should get rid of all the negative things in your life and focus on the things that make you happy and make you who you are.  Keeping nature clean and taking care of it are big parts of today’s world. There are very important things and lessons that we can learn about transcendentalism.