Citizen Kane – Blog 22

Prior to watching the film, I had heard many things about Citizen Kane. I had heard that it was the best film ever made, that you had to watch it at some point in your life, that you either love it or hate it, etc. I can say with certainty that I truly did enjoy the film. I liked it more than Vertigo, which was released after Citizen Kane. Citizen Kane was just overall more entertaining, I liked the plot more, I liked the characters more, and the film just seemed overall more lively. I especially liked Kane’s character, and I really enjoyed how we saw him fall from grace throughout the film, and the different accounts on his life were also interesting. We are supposed to take away that the American Dream isn’t all that great, and having everything that you could ever want in material items doesn’t grant you happiness. Kane never had someone in his later years that he could say loved him, and having no one can lead you into a dark hole of dispair that even money can’t get you out of. His wives both left him after complications, his coworkers and his lifelong friend left him, and he sat alone in his gigantic estate, with no one to call his own, and died alone, reminiscing of his childhood when he was cared for and had people who loved him. Orson Welles was making fun of a man in a similar situation that was known to be a old and crabby man, probably due to the same reasons, which just proves the point that money and pwer can’t always make you happy. It’s the people in your life and the people who you care about that really keeps you happy and helps you have meaning in life. I feel that many people today cannot grasp this concept, as today’s society is centered around having material items that cost an arm and a leg to own, just as a status symbol. If the kis in the lower grades saw this movie, I can almost guarantee that they would think it was stupid and a waste of time, which is quite unfortunate. If more people today watched this movie and took the advice from it, there is no doubt that the world would be a better place. Anyways, the movie was excellent, I liked the message it was trying to convey, and I liked the way it went about conveying that message.