A Review of Vertigo – Blog 18

When we first began the movie, I didn’t have high expectations. My dad at home has many Alfred Hitchcock movies, and whenever he got me to watch one, I always thought they were drawn out and boring. Then again, that was when I was younger, but even so I still went in not expecting much. I though that it was just gonna be another convoluted and boring 2 hours, but I can safely say that that wasn’t the case. It may be because my brain has had time to develop and understand a film like this, as the last time I watched a Hitchcock movie was at least 10 years ago, but my initial impression of the film was very good. I was immediately drawn into the story from the beginning, when they showed the source of Scottie’s vertigo, and the way Hitchcock portrayed vertigo was really inventive, considering this movie was made in the 1950’s. The actors’ acting ability wasn’t cringey, which usually pulls me out of the movie and distracts me, but thankfully that wasn’t the case. In fact, I thought the actors and actresses handled the plot very well, considering how unusual it can be considered to be. I liked a lot of things about it, as said, and I actually have a hard time trying to find out what I don’t like about it. I guess I could say that I don’t enjoy the beginning and how slow it takes to get moving, but that is really the only thing. I’m sure if I think long enough and examine the film closer I can find more things I don’t like, but now isn’t the time for that, as we have a film critique to write. If I had to change the fil to fit more for modern audiences, I probably would make the film easier to follow. It may sound bad, but the way I see it, today’s audiences definitely don’t care about intricancies like they did in the past. Many audiences today only care about being told the story easily and and a way that will entertain them. That would be the only thing I would do to suit modern audiences.