Music with Fixed Rhythms and Patterns of Myself – Blog 17

As similar to the other works in this type of literature, my initial reaction to this work was despair and confusion. I think many of my classmates will say the same thing, including my table members. However, also similar to how the other works went, over time I slowly began to understand what was going on, even if what I thought was going on was wildly wrong, which we will see proven when my group presents our section of the poem. Speaking of our group’s section, our initial thoughts, surprisingly, didn’t seem that negative. I didn’t hear any immediate complaints, and for the most part, we generally understood the text we were given. However, as I said before, we understood it in our own way, which could be laughably bad compared to the actual meaning, which I’m sure will get a few laughs from McGarry once we present. It seems to be a common similarity between Transcendentalist writers that their works are often confusing in nature to read and interpret. I’m not sure what Whitman’s writing style was before he adopted his Trascendentalist beliefs, but as with the other writers, his word choice and way of describing and explaining things confusing to me. It takes time for me to fullt understand what he is trying to say, most often only after a brief explaination from McGarry. I believe the most important lines in my section are the ones about grass. Not surprisingly, those lines make up the entirety of the section. Therefore, what I am trying to say is, my entire section is important. All jokes aside, I would say the most important lines in my section are the ones comparing the different generations to the grass, and saying that they have their own effect on them. They are important to conveying meaning to the section because they are the basis of Whitman’s whole way of describing things. As said before, the theme of grass is used numerous other times in the poem, and not just in this particular section. The main difficulties I’m having with the work is trying to interpret the meaning behind his words, sometimes to no avail. Though, with time, I’m sure that my tablemates and I will somewhat decipher what Whitman has to say within these words.