The End of an Era – Blog 9

When we first started this unit, (who knows how many times I’ve told you this by now), I hated poetry. But now, I cna safely say that i can tolerate it. After seeing all of the different poems we’ve read and analyzed, I seemed to have developed this newfound respect for the poems themselves and the poets behind them. Writing the two poems that we were required to construct was a monumental task (to me, at least). Through learning that poems can’t be produced a dime a dozen, the poets and the peoms they wrote grew into something that I wanted my poems to be like, even though they miserably failed to do so. Writing my first poem gave me the experience to improve upon my second peom, and I would say it worked. Both were absolute garbage, but I’d say that the second one was a little better than the first, how miniscule the difference might be. My second poem is about the human conscience and how discovering your emotions can lead you to connect to others like you. Though I don’t think I effeciently portrayed that message in the poem itself. I made it about that because I’ve always thought the minds of humans were interesting. Why do we think the way we do? Why do we believe in the sometimes nonsensical ideaologies or false God(s) that we believe in? This poem was the simplest way to explore human mind for me.

Adding visual components could potentially help my poem, just not im some cases. I described each emotion as weather, but I left the location of the weather comlpletely up to the reader. For me, I imagined a small town with a clock tower being affected by these emotions, but for someone else, it could have been completely different. Perhaps someone could imagine a desert, or a jungle, or an island in the middle of the ocean. However, I could add visuals like a lightning bolt to emphasize anger or a sun to portray happiness next to their respective stanzas to help reinforce the emotion I’m trying to convey. Visual elements could work in my poem, it just depends on the way you use them and in what context you use them.