Blog 4: An Analytical Diatribe on Religion

The book I’m currently reading is God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, by Christopher Hitchins. Now, I’ve had a long history with religion throughout my life. I went to a church when I was little, and was always taught that “Jesus loves me”, or to “Let God into your heart”, which quite frankly, I didn’t care much for. The funny thing is, the only reason why I even accepted to blindly follow that belief, was not because I believed in it. It was because I wanted to be able to have the little bread squares and grape juice that they handed out occasionally. (I don’t even remember why they did). When I was given the chance to not wake up early to go to church and listen to things that I didn’t care about, I gladly accepted. Which is why, a decade later, I’m reading this book. I’ve obviously grown since then, more importantly mentally, and I’ve come to have a growing interest in the concept of religion. I may be an atheist, but I still enjoy reading and learning about religion’s inner workings, which is what this book provides. However, it also provides a topic that is the reason why I mainly wanted to read this book, and, based on the title, I think it’s easy to figure it out. Reading about how religion is the base of many of the worlds problems, or how it caused the deaths of millions upon millions of people throughout the centuries, or how it persecuted and ruined the lives of innocent people, is eye-opening. It makes me want to share this book with others, like people who are diehard religious fanatics, and hear their opinions about it. I am currently reading a chapter for arguments about the design of religion, and how at times it can be self-contradictory, or at time not make any sense at all. This is probably my favorite chapter so far, as it calls out the creators of certain religion, (as Hitchens uses multiple religions as examples), and calls out logical fallicies. An example being how the Bible and God discourages jealousy, yet one of the Ten Commandments says “No other gods before me”, which is literally God being jealous of other gods. I can’t wait to see the other arguments this book has in store for me, and am eager to read more.