Blog 17: “Song of Myself”

I really don’t like transcendentalism…or anything we do in this class for a matter of fact. BUT, I did like this poem more than any of the other transcendentalism works we have read in class. But also really liked Walt Whitman during the poetry unit. My group was assigned sections 51 and 52 to analyze. Section 51 was really hard to analyze and we constantly had to ask Mr. McGarry questions about what Whitman was trying to say.  I think Whitman’s devotion to the transcendentalism lifestyle is very prominent through his writing but, I think he is almost more vague about is compared to the other authors we covered. In my opinion, Whitman is more optimistic and has a different outlook on the transcendentalist movement.

I think the most important lines from my section include:

1.)Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.) 

These three lines are very important in section 51. They show a few basic ideas of transcendentalism including oversoul and self-reliance.

2.)Who wishes to walk with me?

Will you speak before I am gone? will you prove already too late?

These lines, also in section 51, show Whitman speaking to the reader and saying will you speak with me? Will you join me in my journey of transcendentalism? Will you speak to me before it is too late to speak with me?

3.)The last scud of day holds back for me,
It flings my likeness after the rest and true as any on the shadow’d wilds,

These lines, from section 52, explain that Whitman is dying. He says the day almost seems to be waiting for him to finish

4.)I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

In these lines, also from section 52,  Whitman explains that when he dies he is going back to nature.“To grow from the grass I love,” is to grow from society; the things around him. If you wish to find him look at the soles of your shoes (another joke).He will be returning back to nature.

All of these have the greatest impact on this section of the work because they are the most crucial to explaining the theme of the work.

I had many difficulties with this work but mainly the language used made it difficult for me to understand the meaning/what the author was trying to say. Also, his “jokes” were completely lost to me. My group and I were discussing the hawk and its meaning for a solid 20 minutes when McGarry came over and told us it was a joke…yeah ok that’s so funny…

Photo: This is an artwork for my AP art concentration. My concentration is on hands used in portraiture to help convey emotion with a focus on..old people. I know this photo has nothing to do with the subject matter of this post but it continues with the art theme, PantellaPaints…i don’t know