Blog 19: Satire

I do not really watch much tv or anything but if I do I like sarcastic type of humor. The example I used to represent the type of humor I like is a clip from family guy. In the clip the guy is telling a story about when he lost his legs and talking about how insurance companies screw people over. In the story he is laying on the bed as the doctor calls the insurance company saying they can do a surgery to save his legs but they say its too expensive and just give him a wheelchair because its cheaper. This shows humor that insurance companies don’t care about your needs and only themselves. Mark twain is characterized by a broad, often irreverent humor or biting social satire. His writing is also known for realism of place and language, memorable characters. He is mainly famous for his work in “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”. Something I found interesting about Mark that doesn’t have to do with his writing is that he was saved 9 times from drowning in the Mississippi River. Maybe after having serious or scary things happen to him in his lifetime he decided to bring humor to cope with these times. Another thing interesting about him is that he wanted to be named after The Pen name Mark Twain, which comes from a river boating term meaning “Two fathoms” (12 feet).