Blog 25: The Love Blog of a Pretty Disillusioned Town

The poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, Disillusionment of 10 o’clock, and anyone lived in a pretty how town all have a common theme. These three poems talk about how we, as a society, follow patterns and stay in our comfort zone. Instead of becoming leaders and doing new things, we live in a world of followers who stick to following the same pattern every day of their life.

These 3 poems develop their theme in very effective ways. The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock specifically discusses it’s theme when it says, “I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.” This line is very important because it is an example of someone who measures their life by the stir of their coffee every day, this is quite a contrast to people who lead their own paths and measures their life by the events and things they’ve experienced throughout their life. Disillusionment of 10 o’clock develops its theme when the author talks about how people have a choice in what they wear to sleep every night, yet they all wear the same thing. In the poem anyone lived in a pretty how town, “anyone” = male character and “noone” = female character. Before reading the poem knowing this, I didn’t understand what the poem meant at all but I just went along and acted like I knew what it was about, this was the point. The author was trying to show that people go along with many things in life without questioning, digging deeper, or asking questions. 

These are all connected because they all explore the different ways in which our society follows others instead of leading. They all develop these themes in different ways, but they all end up showing the same things. The 3 of them go about developing this theme in different ways, but they all end effectively in the same place.

The one that I find most applicable to our society today is definitely The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock because it really opens up the reader’s eyes when he talks about measuring his life with coffee spoons. It is an eye opening moment for many because it makes us realize that many people today don’t adventure, live in the moment, appreciate every day, and we always wish time away. Prufrock makes the reader realize that we need to change this and stop just following an every day pattern.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock is also my favorite because of how eye-opening it was to me. It was also my favorite because of how applicable it was to society today, and even my own every day life.

Image result for be a leader not a follower meme