blog: fourth quarter ir

After going through the list of all the authors that I could choose from, I chose Flannery O’Connor. I knew from the start that I would want to choose a female author due to the time period that the majority of these authors are from. As most people know, females weren’t treated with the highest respect back then. So having an author that’s a female, I wanted to see if how society treated women would follow through with her work. Honestly, it was quite a process trying to pick a female author. Most of them were poets, and I knew for sure I was absolutely not going to pick an author who was a poet. As much as I love poetry, I struggled with that unit. Fortunately, Flannery O’Connor’s primary form of work is short stories, which is what intrigued me to pick her for this project. Three of the most interesting works by Flannery O’Connor is “Everything That Rises Must Converge”, “The Habit of Being”, and “A Good Man Is Hard To Find.” All interest me quite the same, but I find “A Good Man is Hard To Find” quite comical, and the two others come across as very personal. Doing some research I found out that Flannery O’Connor was a very devout Catholic, and that definitely plays a role in her work. Also, it is quite ironic that she has a book called “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” because she was never married, and she had no kids. She also only lived to 39, but during her 39 years from 1925 to 1964, she has gone through the Great Depression all the way to the Civil Rights Movement.

blog: fourth quarter ir