blog: vertigo

Image result for vertigo alfred hitchcockI have always been a fan of psychological thrillers, knowing that we were going to watch one for ourselves in class was in a way relieving. This was an assignment I for sure was more appealed to than the others. So far Vertigo has been an okay film. I have very high expectations for it, and personally, it started out kind of slow. You have to be very tentative during the film, there are lots of things to pick up on. There are lots of symbols, allusions, foreshadowing. Things that typically you wouldn’t consider a big detail in the film is. I understand that the film was made way back when, but I  wasn’t a fan of how females were so dependent on males. We’ve come along way in today’s society when it comes to women being independent, but I really did not like the way females were portrayed in the film. Other than that I really enjoy the story of the film, halfway through it seems pretty cliche. You have the spy that retired, and he ends up following a girl in a case that he’s assigned, but he falls in love with her. How cliche can you get? But knowing that this is an Alfred Hitchcock movie, there is nothing cliche about that. Even though so far it’s a cliche storyline, it’s something I’m drawn to. I like how Alfred Hitchcock can let you connect to the characters by drawing the story out hence why I said how the film started out slow. Through the main character’s backstory, we can really understand the way he thinks and his thoughts unlike some of the other characters. Finally, another thing I would say I’m a fan of would be the videography in the film. The editing and the cool effects really tie the film in all together. All in all, I’m really enjoying the film so far and my critique of it would be very positive.

blog: vertigo