blog: end of song

Before diving into Walt Whitman’s “Song of Myself” I was very skeptical on how I felt toward dissecting the poem. Not going to lie, I was very confused when we first read the poem. It took more than just a couple of times to fully understand what was I reading. I was still learning more and more about the poem as my group was presenting. All in all, taking it line by line, it was much easier to understand the meaning behind Whitman’s words. I was very fond of the poem, although it was a struggle to decipher. I enjoyed how even though the poem was written awhile ago, it is still timeless. It still is applicable to today’s day and age. As you can tell, Whitman is trying to influence those who read “Song of Myself” to become more unified, and generally better society. Other than my own sections, I was drawn to section three. Section three of the poem goes into to detail of the good and bad in the world, and it is supposed to be an eye-opener to readers saying how we are all apart of the same world, even though the world is home to so many different ideas. Since we are all apart of the same world, we are all equal. No one is higher or lower than another, and that’s a great lesson especially in today’s society having people in power and in control. The lesson of all of us being equal is what I took away from section three.  I don’t really have any questions or remarks due to our class discussion, but I did enjoy this very long poem overall. At least I can say I’ve read one of America’s most classic and influential poems.Image result for song of myself

blog: end of song