blog: satire

I honestly had no idea that the word satire existed until we started this unit, but I’ve always known what the idea of satire was. My favorite types of shows include numerous examples of satire. There’s The Office, SNL, Bob’s Burgers, and the list goes on and on. There are many types of humor, but the type of humor that I’m fond of most would for sure be satirical humor. I may not necessarily use this type of humor, but witnessing it really gets me laughing. A good example of satirical humor would be an episode of Saturday Night Live. There are constant skits about social issues going on, and there is always a funny spin on them. They are pretty indirect, and it isn’t hard to pick up what is going on. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, so it’s a win-win for me.

I don’t really know that much about Mark Twain besides that he wrote iconic stories such as “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.” After doing some light research on Mark Twain, I learned that he’s scamming us and his real name is Samuel Langhorne Clemens. I don’t blame him wanting to have the pen name Mark Twain instead of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, but something intriguing I found was that Samuel was born two months premature, and wasn’t suspected to live. He remained ill until he was around seven years old. It’s interesting to know that he was expected to not live the life he lived.

blog: satire