blog: transcendentalism start

I was very intrigued when I first learned we were going to be learning about Transcendentalism. It was neat to see a concept based on the term “transcend.” Something that we can grow from or become a better version of ourselves. I also liked how we used can use analogies to make connections with everyday things that we already know to make a better understanding of something we don’t know. Using those analogies were a really big help when it came to reading the excerpts from “Nature” and “Self-Reliance” by Emerson. Reading both of those excerpts were very difficult, and I would constantly have to reread both excerpts numerous times again and again. Seeing the connection of Transcendentalism to everyday life was pretty cool as well. Something that I also was intrigued with was how the topic of nature was connected throughout both of the excerpts. Reading how we are apart of nature. Were not greater nor below it. Although understanding the excerpts was difficult, It didn’t change my interest in the topic of Transcendentalism. My stance on the belief that Transcendentalists that man is naturally good is something that I don’t agree with. I agree with the belief that man is naturally evil. According to religion, we were born out of sin, and not only going by religion people naturally have bad thoughts. People covet and are greedy, which is associated with being naturally evil. We need things such as laws to keep people in a civil matter. I can see how people argue for the belief that people are naturally good. People who aren’t considered religious can argue that we were born pure, and haven’t done anything wrong. It’s all necessarily based on what you believe in

blog: transcendentalism start