blog no. 7

Poetry is so much more than rhyme and putting your emotions into words. I give so much credit to poets, because I have no idea how they do it. I don’t hate nor dislike poetry, it’s just something that doesn’t get me excited. My experience with poetry wasn’t half that bad. It was better than most. Indulging yourself into a piece of work and depicting the meaning of every stanza, line, and word was for sure an experience. I’ve been a fan of the work we’ve read so far in class, except my dislike poem. I thought having to go through the sound and sense questions were a pain, but they honestly really did help with trying to figure out what the meaning of the poems were. Finally being able to understand what a poem’s true meaning was after analyzing felt pretty good, and my dislike for poetry grew smaller and smaller. Writing a poem put me in a completely different perspective. It was pretty difficult, even to think of what to write was hard. When finally coming up with an idea and trying to put my thoughts into a poem is what really threw me off. Having to write a poem, and instead of analyzing one really allowed myself to go more in depth with poetry. There is definitely more to it. Although struggling trying to write in stanzaic form I do prefer it over free verse. It helped me keep my ideas and words organized, instead of spilling my words out on paper. Through all the struggle of reading and analyzing poems, I love the use of repetition in poetry, when it’s used correctly. My like poem, “ O, Captain! My, Captain!” by Walt Whitman, uses repetition throughout the poem. The use of repetition showed the importance of certain words or lines throughout the poem, but it also created a beautiful flow to the poem as well.
Poetry will never be my forte, but I might as well get used to it because it won’t be leaving me anytime soon. Although I have for sure gained a better respect for poetry.

blog no. 7