blog no. 2: a week of notes

A full week of notes wasn’t as bad as I thought as it was going to be. It was kind of a nice way to ease our way back into the swing of things. Refresh our minds from some of the knowledge that lapsed from our brains, but the second week of school we talked about the elements of a short story. Discussing setting was definitely¬†a game changer for me. I never realized how important the setting of a story really is. I always just thought it was the time and place of a story and had little relevance. The setting plays a huge role in any story, so learning that, I also learned a new term “milieu.” The milieu is defined as the specific feeling of a specific people at a specific time. Talking about this term and comparing into events such as the Salem Witch Trials and the Holocaust really put it into perspective. The milieu isn’t just mood or tone, it really is something deeper than that. I also found out how unoriginal authors really are. Just changing the setting and certain rising action events makes a whole new story. This for sure reminded me of every Nicholas Sparks book ever written. Every exact story is the same! The only thing that I’d consider different would be the setting and character’s names. I don’t understand how Nicholas Sparks is considered an “excellent” author for basically repeating every single one of his stories, but that’s the business and he’s making money.

The second of week school was a little bit of a drag. Monday was really an eye opener showing me that we are really back in school and that my summer is over. Other than reviewing the majority of material that we learned in the past year, it wasn’t that bad. I joined more clubs such as SSA, and environmental club. We also had another football game that we “surprisingly” lost too, but yet again I got to take more and more pictures.

blog no. 2: a week of notes