Satire

In today’s society, my experiences with satire and humor are that I enjoy it. Especially with most of today’s satire in major media and television being aimed at the current administration and or conservative side of politics, and me being more in favor of the left, I find this satire comedic and relative. For example, if a late night talk show uses satire aimed at Trump supporters, I find it funny if it is like my experiences with Trump supporters around me.

A type of humor that I find very comedic often is: Self Deprecating

I find this type of humor comedic because the ways that I see it used are often in SNL skits or in stand up comedy. So my example of this is an SNL skit where one of the actors, is doing an impression of the Secretary of Education who is very criticized for not knowing anything about public schooling or education in general. So the actor portrays her as a very unintelligent person not knowing much about public education. This shows the self deprecating type of humor.

Mark Twain was an American writer born in Missouri. He worked as a steam boat pilot, and also a miner. Both those careers somewhat failed. He worked for many news outlets and newspaper companies writing funny stories and articles. This then led to his writing career. Many of his stories/books were humorous or witty. He also used a lot of satire in his stories. His most famous work arguably is the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, followed by the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. This is referred to as the Great American Novel due to it’s popularity. Mark Twain’s works are extremely well known among the literature community and paved the way if you will for satire in modern works.

Something I found while researching Mark Twain that was very interesting was the Halley’s comet coincidence. Mark Twain was born shortly after Halley’s comet was spotted, and he predicted later in life that he “would go out with it.” His predictions deemed correct as he died the day after the comet was spotted again.