Sleep Deprivation

For the final weekend of our week long fair break, I was invited to go to Pulaski, New York. Bobby Frey, Tyler Hendricks, and I were going on a day trip to fish the world famous King Salmon run. I have only been able to fish it twice in my life so I was chomping at the bit to go again.Saturday was the only day we were all free, so we had to go then. There was an issue with this timing though. I had to wok Sunday morning at 6 a.m. Pulaski, New York is four hours away, and we planned to fish the entire day, so I knew sleep was going to be a problem. I didn’t realize how much though. So Friday night after the game, I got all my stuff ready and we left for Pulaski at 2 a.m. The plan was to leave at 2, be there by 6, and be fishing by 7.  I anticipated I’d sleep a couple hours on the way up. Little did I know, we were going in Tyler Hendrick’s excessively loud diesel truck, that could wake even the heaviest of sleepers. So somehow, I managed about an hour of sleep on the way and felt pretty good about the day to come. We fished all day further exhausting my body until about 8 p.m. We then got some food and were headed home by 8:30. We arrived on schedule to Bloomsburg, but again the truck kept me from getting but two hours of off and on sleep. With that, I found it extremely difficult to then get shut eye when I arrived at home. After getting a shower and putting my fishing stuff away, it took me a while till got back to sleep again finally. It was about 2 a.m. when it finally happened, and three and a half hours asleep was between me and getting up for work. My alarm was set for 5:30 a.m. and unfortunately, it could not do the job Tyler’s truck could do so well. That was wake me up constantly. So eventually I awoke at 9:30 a.m. Sunday morning. I got up, took my time getting around, got some coffee, and headed to work shamefully. There were several things I learned whilst on this trip, but the one life lesson I will take away from this is, sleep is very important.