My reaction to the Song of Myself poem after understanding it and going through is was pretty well written. I actually love this poem and it might be my new favorite. I do not like reading poems because I usually cant understand them, but when Mr. Mcgarry actually goes through it with us I really enjoy it! The section I found most interesting was section 6 where Whitman explained how society is like a blade of grass, and how we were all just basically all trying to figure ourselves out. I understand why this is the most interesting poem of the entire history of American Literature because, He explains everything so simply but in a different way than most poets. Whitman puts so many metaphors and similarities secretly into the poem it is truly amazing once you understand. If you read it the first time I wouldn’t expect anyone to understand it this quickly because he uses different ways to describe something instead of saying it right flat out. That is why he makes this so interesting. This is still a good poem to keep using because society is still the same. People need to figure out themselves (as it says in the poem) by themselves. You cant show anyone how to live life or try to explain to them what you believe because in reality all they will ever know is what they will believe themselves. Some questions I still have about this poem was if Walt was truly happy his entire life. Which I know that really is not believable because everyone has their days were they hate everything, at least I know I do. That was really the only question I have because like I said earlier, Mr. Mcgarry definitely showed me how hating a poem at first to loving it just by explaining into detail. I find it really cool the way Whitman took different words and meanings and completely switched it around to mean something else. Like a simple blade of grass could mean a huge society! I love that and this poem was really really one of my favorites. I would rate this poem a 9/10 because there are some things to work on but in all in all I loved it.

Image result for picture of walt whitman