This poem was mediocre at best. Even though I’m no poet, neither is he. “Song of Myself” is basic and just repeats the same concepts over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Just kidding, that was mean. “Song of Myself” really wasn’t that bad. Although I didn’t really know what he was talking about at first, after the class analysis it was a lot easier to enjoy and appreciate the poem. It was also very cool how he used aspects of nature as a metaphor for things such as himself, society, and life. The most interesting stanza was Canto 51 because not only does Walt contradict himself, but another speaker is introduced (the voice of God). Walt also questions why he has only been a talker rather than a doer, which can relate to many people in today’s society, including me.

Specific elements that represent society today include:

• The terms “talkers”, “trippers”, and “askers”  (examples of people in society).
  • “this grass is very dark to be from the white heads of old mothers” (society is young, fresh, and healthy).
  • “urge and urge and urge, always the procreant urge of the world” (basic human instincts; we care to only produce what will benefit us).
  • “showing the best and dividing it from the worst age vexes age” (this statement means that older generations still highly influence youths).
  • “knowing the perfect fitness and equanimity of things, while they discuss, I am silent and go bathe and admire myself” (speaker is self-consumed and vain, like society).
  • Questions: I’ve heard that Wlat Whitman was racist, is this true? If so how could he preach his ideas of transcendentalism and equality? Did Walt Whitman ever become a “better” person to his standards?

After careful considerations, this poem earned a solid seven out of ten.