poetry in the classroom is gross

Writing poetry can beĀ  fun-really fun. It can be relaxing, and can help you clear your mind….UNLESS it is a graded assignment to be turned in on google classroom. My personal definition of poetry is spilling words out onto a paper in a naturally flowing rhythm to clear your mind of that thought or issue. It can be enjoyable. The enjoyment is ripped from the process when there are guidelines to follow and specific elements to be inserted. I still like poetry, just not in the classroom atmosphere where it is beaten to death with a wet mop. With that said, writing the poetry at the degree of complexity we were expected to, is far worse than simply reading and slightly analyzing a poem in class. Why do we need to write poems when there are writers upon writers who have already written millions of poems? Why are we cluttering the world with more pathetic, poorly written, amateur poems when there are so many precious, well-known works of art that have yet to be analyzed by the bone. Seems like a waste of time and utilities to me.

Poetry is such an undermined word. There is so much more to the fancy stanza forms and complicated rhythmic forms. Each line contributes to some amazing story full of detail. I believe that if students weren’t assigned analytical homework and even classwork with time limits, they’d find more enjoyment in poetry. What saves me and keeps me motivated to complete our assignments is my love for music. I understand that modern music is more or less poetry with music added to it. In fact, it IS poetry in which music is played to. The music is used to help the audience feel the tone and mood of the poem without having to think about the meaning behind the lyrics. So I guess I just concluded that music is poetry for dummies. I think we should just start analyzing songs instead of historic poetry. It would be far more interesting for the majority of students, and students would be more likely to successfully associate the different elements of poetry in songs.