Abortion (Con)

The topic of my debate is abortion, and for the purpose of this debate, I am siding with the cons of this topic. When I picked out this topic, I don’t want to say that I was necessarily disappointed, because I have strong opinions regarding this topic. Yet I knew whatever position I was arguing for, I would get CRUSHED by McGarry. Lesson learned: Even though your favorite rapper is performing in NY, don’t skip out on school because you’ll get paired with your teacher. My personal position for this topic is that I am pro-choice, meaning that I believe a woman should be able to choose whether she wants to keep the child or not. I was raised in a very religious family, so many of my family members’ beliefs don’t follow with mine. If it weren’t for my research, I probably would’ve been against abortion. When I do a basic google search of what abortion is, a local center called Your Loving Choices appears as well as Planned Parenthood. These two agencies take on different sides because Your Loving Choices is to help young adults with the pregnancy process, and Planned Parenthood caters to abortions and other services.

There are three sides you could take from this debate:

You have those who are completely against abortion, aka pro-life. Then on the other spectrum, you have those like myself who believe women have the choice, aka pro-choice. Then you have those who take both sides because let’s be honest – life gets crazy, situations get crazy, and at the end of the day, it’s all up to what you want to do.

The logical I appeal that I could use to approach the debate is how people should be responsible for their actions. (Like I said, life gets crazy and situations are different.) An ethical issue is that the fetus might be able to feel pain, and it is considered “murder.” Which there is a lot of controversy regarding that. Finally, the emotions that can be played are by aborting the child you are cutting their chance of becoming something of themselves.

“Life is a matter of choices and every choice you make makes you.”

– John Maxwell