In my opinion, the theme of The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, Disillusionment of 10 o’clock, and anyone lived in a pretty how town is that we all follow a pattern and if we follow other people, it will lead us to a lonely life.  If you go out on your own and be your own person, you will live a happy life.  A lot of people my age are guilty of this because day in and day out we go through very similar patterns, such as school and sports after school.  It is nice to have some change at times, which is what these poems are trying to portray to us.  The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock develops its theme when it says, “I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.”   This line is very important because it shows how his life is so boring and monotonous, and its just the same thing day in and day out and that is no way to live a life.  Disillusionment of 10 o’clock develops its theme when the author talks about how people have a choice in what they wear to sleep every night, but they all wear the same thing anyways.   In the poem, anyone lived in a pretty how town, anyone stood for a male character and no one stood for a female character.  Without knowing these two things, I could not fully understand the poem, which is exactly what the author wanted.  He wanted us to dig deeper and find the real meaning on our own instead of just giving it away.

These three poems are all connected due to how many people in our society follow the lead of others, rather than defining themselves through their own actions.  All of these poems have the same overall theme, but are developed in different ways.

The poem that I find most applicable to our society is The Love Song of  J. Alfred Prufrock because of the way that “coffee spoons” is so prevalent in our society and how he compares his life with coffee spoons.  This makes us realize just how many of us are exactly like that man, finding our life so small and boring, not living our own life and being who we truly are.  This poem was also my favorite of the three because it was very eye opening to me and made me really think of how my life could be so much different.

Image result for coffee spoons