End of Song

The poem, “Song of Myself,” was a very one and I came to understand why it is considered one of the best in American literature.  It was amazing to me how one thing in the poem, means something totally different and could be interpreted in many different ways depending on your viewpoint.  My favorite section other than my own is section nine.  I like that section the best because it talks about jumping off of the top of a barn into some hay.  He was very joyful and proud of himself and his accomplishments.  He was acting like a child and I liked this part of the poem because it reminds us that every once and a while we need to act like a child and just have fun and forget all of our troubles in life.  This poem is definitely one of the most influential poems of American literature and there are elements of the poem that are still reflected in our society today.  I see some of these specific elements in section six where it says ” It may be you are from old people, or from offspring taken soon out of their mothers’ laps.”  What this means is that the mother is the nurturer, everyone in society is connected somehow, and society is driven by everyone.  All of these are true still to this day in our society.  Another statement from section six that contributes to society is “And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier.”  This statement from the poem means that each individual’s death contributes to our society in some way and that is still true to this day.  A death affects a lot of things and a lot of people.  Some questions I have about the work is what year did this poem become and be considered such a classic of American literature?  Another question that I have is who was the first person to ever read “Song of Myself” besides Walt Whitman?  I would rate this poem as a nine out of ten after fully dissecting it, it was a very good read.

Image result for a song of myself