Ar book 2

For my first book, I read  Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes. It is a realistic fiction novel that was published by Penguin Books on January 5, 2012 in the United Kingdom. I would definitely recommend this book to those who have a place in their heart for your typical cliche love stories.

I think that the most impacting element that this story has on the reader is it’s setting. In this novel, there is a 26 year old woman who has grown up in a working-class family. She has few qualifications and lands a job caring for a quadriplegic man. Will Traynor had the perfect life, and after a traffic accident, he is stuck in a wheelchair with limited use of his upper body and no use of his legs and back. Time after time, Louisa attempts to foil his plan to live life miserably and she tries to help him see that he still has places to go, views to see, and people to meet. Will remains bitter to Louisa, and she becomes cold-hearted towards him as well. Through all of her attempts of adventure for him, Louisa Clark and Will fall in love. Will’s mother learns of his plan to go to Dignitas (assisted suicide organization in Switzerland), and she respects his wish as long as he promises to live 6 more months. Louisa takes him on an exotic vacation and they connect like never before. Will then decides that it is better to tell her of his plans now than to wait any longer. Louisa feels that she has failed her mission to make him choose life. The mood throughout the novel makes the reader feel involved; Will’s choices that affect Louisa also affect the reader.

Even though the ending of this story was by far the worst I had ever read, the entire novel as a whole makes up for it with the love that Louisa has for Will. The sacrifices made and the differentiating emotions pulls the reader in, and that makes this an amazing novel. I recommend this book for anyone looking for a sappy love story.