End of the song

Breaking down the poem by sentences and interpreting its meaning as a class through the presentations really helped me understand what the poem was about. My reaction to the poem is that Whitman gives good advice to those and has a lot of faith in society becoming better, but doesnt seem to do the things he preaches. However i like how he gives advice to society and delivers a sense of hope. That hope is that those in society will better themselves. I feel like Whitmans poem makes me want to become a better person and helps me realize that even in the rough days there is hope. I think section 52 was the most interesting because this is the section where Whitman realizes that he has been doing the exact opposite of what hes been preaching. He also comes to sense with the fact that he will be dying soon in this section. He tells readers that when hes dead you can search in his poetry to find him. His poetry will be his legacy and his thoughts. This is plain to see this poem is one of the most influential because poets nowadays are basing their works off of it. Many lessons that are in Whitmans poem are also embedded in those of the modern day. I believe it relates to today because everyone seems to be looking for ways to better themselves and find who they really are. People feel rushed to find their true identity and figure out what they are going to do in life. Another big thing is equality. Whitman expresses his love for equality in section 6. Equality is still something that we struggle with today because unfortunately not everyone has as open as a mind as Whitman. People are quick to judge others based on things they cant choose such as race or gender. As a reader I question why Whitman write this poem. Was he himself lost or was he trying to leave something for future generations to seek for advice? Did Whitman actually live his life the way he is telling readers to or did he fall short? Lastly I wonder what Whitman was in search of when writing this poem. I would say this poem is about an 6/10 because from the beginning i didnt understand it. It required a decent amount of time to figure out the meaning behind it and the poem itself was pretty long. However, I do like the message that Whitman gets across in the poem. He does a good job of providing hope for those in the future.

Image result for song of myself