My first reaction to the poem, A Smile, was that I was confused and wasn’t a big fan of it for that reason. The poem had a lot going on with no rhyme or reason to it. The poem didn’t follow stanzaic form and didn’t have a specific rhyme scheme that I was able to pick out. However, I did find that the poem had some allusions buried within it . The allusion that helped me understand it a bit was “so much depends upon”. This statement means that life depends on the small things. Also when it is stated “reliant self” I was able to understand that everything in life depends on your choices and you have to make yourself happy. I feel like if we analyzed and read it together in class I would understand better but for the most part I’m pretty clueless about the overall message. My question is how do the footnotes tie in to the poem because I found they were throwing me off even more. The poet made sure to include some pretty complex vocabulary most of which I didn’t understand. I had to read lines multiple times in order to have half a clue what the poet was trying to get across. Some questions I have are why does the poem not follow a specific stanzaic form and why are there so many allusions found within? Also what is the theme that is trying to be presented? The poet has a very negative outlook in this poem. Maybe someone in the speakers left them but besides that guess I’m unsure of why it turns so negative as the poem goes on. I guess the end of the poem is meant to say that although life may be awful and miserable at one point you need to live it to its fullest. I’d say that, in my eyes the poem is about having to create happiness for yourself because you are the one that has any control over it. It’s your choice to be miserable in life or to have a positive outlook and live your life to the fullest.