My experience with poetry was a pretty rough one and I have concluded that I am far from being a poet. Having to write poetry made me realize just how difficult it is. While writing the poems there were times I wanted to throw something across the room and scream. Just when I thought my poem was sounding half decent a problem would arise, usually in the syllable count. Coming up with topics to write about and trying to make meaning of them was pretty difficult but I survived. Before this year, I avoided poetry like the plague because it was always taught in such a boring way. In 8th grade the same poems were played over and over again until you wished you hearing would just go. A lot of teachers would shove one specific theme down your throat instead of allowing you to interpret it your own way which made me really hate it. Interpretation of poetry has always been a weakness for me because I usually have no idea what is going on because some poets feel the need to whip out all these fancy words. My experience with poetry this year has been better than the rest, but id still prefer to pretend it doesn’t exist.

When I was informed we were writing poetry, I wasn’t too thrilled but I figured I could whip up a nice free verse poem. Then I read the directions and my hopes and dreams of my poem being a simple free verse were squashed like a bug.Writing the poems in stanzaic form stressed me out but once I got the hang of it I was able to stress a little less. Once I got the rhythm down I knew I could do it, even though I didnt want to. After creating poems, I give some serious credit to poets. I couldnt imagine writing poetry on a regular basis. After the poetry unit I have decided to give poetry more of a chance instead of automatically hating it. Overall I believe I kind of have a love/ hate relationship with poetry because some poems have good life lessons but some I just cant understand at all which makes me frustrated.Image result for i dont like poetry