Walden pond

Thorreau and Emerson’s thoughts about Transcendentalism are fairly similar, in which they both share the belief that nature is what drives people to not go along with other people’s ideas but make our own. They also share similar ideas about the Soul and Simplicity.  Both men also shared a want to find deeper meaning in life. In the first part of the excerpt, Thoreau talks about all the farms he was prospectively looking at, especially Hollowell’s Place.  Hollowell’s Place was farm he was about to buy, even though he knew it was a fixer upper and had a lot of work to do before he could legitimately cultivate it. Then the farmer’s wife decides against the selling of the farm and would let the sale be finalised. After this Thoreau realises that he was better off without the farm. The main idea of the first portion of the excerpt “Where I Lived and What I Lived For?” is that he and others should “as long as possible live free and uncommitted.”

What is the main point of “The Conclusion?” is simplicity, that life doesn’t have to be as complicated as people make it to be, because “The sun is but a morning star.”

Thoreau’s experiment of leaving behind society to live in the woods benefited him by helping him become a better person and find himself. If I did this I would miss some people but I would do it, and kind of want to. I feel like it would help me find a better inner peace. I might do it this summer but who knows.  A modern reader should take some lessons out of what we’ve read in regards to Transcendentalism. Every reader should take the idea of simplicity out of the excerpt, they should learn that in life that sometimes that less it more.

Image result for scenic ponds