Emerson was an inspiration and a mentor to Thoreau. When Thoreau heard about Emerson and his idea of self reliance, he took it to the next level. He believed that self reliance was a state of mind which could only be achieved in nature. Some people may look at self reliance as chopping their own wood or building your own things but Thoreau went and lived in complete secretion in the middle of the woods to test the idea of  self-reliance that Emerson was so big into. I also see that the both of them believed that you can make anything happen yourself if you put your mind to it and go do it. Emerson talks about bettering religion. Thoreau talk about people building railroads and things like that. The main idea of the first section of Thoreau’s writing, is sort of hard to understand. He describes everything he does like getting a farm and wanting to live by himself. He talk about how he did all of those things but then he goes on to talk about things that are a little more hard complicated. Like how if men put in the work to build railroads it will make the country better. Well I’m going to be honest I don’t see him out there building railroads, just saying. The main point of his conclusion is to sort of explain his situation. He talk about why he left, which was because he had other things he wanted to do and dint want to waste any more time. he also talks about how he fears that other people walk down the same path day after day and they don’t get to experience anything new. He also says that you should walk to the beat of your own drum and not to conform to anybody else’s standards. Some benefits of doing this experiment would be that I wouldn’t have to deal with drama. I would learn more about myself and could think more clearly about my life. Lastly, I would get to experience all of nature first hand. I would miss my friends, my family, sports, my cell phone and all of social media. I would miss doing all of the things that I do today. I definitely could not do this experiment. Out of everything we have read about transcendentalism, a reader should take out the part that everything happens for a reason and things will eventually line up for you and give you a happy life.

Image result for cabin in the woods