To Mars in a soup can; Blog 22

For the independent reading author selection I chose Ray Bradbury. I chose this author because I have read some of his work, two short stories. They were dark, and imaginative and the plots were incredible. After reading “There Will Come Soft Rains” by Ray Bradbury I was instantly taken with the way he saw the world and how he pieced each word together into something so simple and terrifying. The way he delved into the workings of the house brought the story to life. It was imaginative, and the way the story played out was chilling. His writing is eerie and beautiful. This year we read The Veldt, and I found it to be stunning as well. His writing amazes me and I would love to explore more of his work. Ray Bradbury wrote novels, and short stories. Although he did dabble in other forms of literature. I was more interested in how Ray Bradbury wrote, instead of what forms of literature he wrote. I love reading novels, short stories, and poems. Even screenplays peek my interested. What really struck me was the genres of books and short stories he wrote. After looking up up his work, I found Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and A Sound Of Thunder to be really interesting. Fahrenheit 451 is regarded as one of Ray Bradbury’s most notable works. It’s about a dystopian society, and I love reading about dystopian society. The novel presents a future American society where books are outlawed and “firemen” burn any that are found. It follows a man who is a “fireman”, but he soon begins to question his existence and what everything really means. He escapes his oppressive society and joins an underground society. Just by reading the summary I was hooked. The second book I found to also be really interesting because it’s a dark fantasy novel. That last one is a short story called A Sound Of Thunder. I was drawn to it because it’s science fiction. Ray Bradbury was born in 1920. After graduating from high school in 1938, Bradbury was turned down for military service because of bad eyesight. He earned a living selling newspapers while working on his writing. He wrote many novels and short stories and an array of other works before he died in 2012.