Blade of Grass; Blog 18

I love the symbol Walt Whitman uses for society. I have never thought of society, and individual people as in depth as Whitman. Transcendentalism really shows in his work and takes each ideal to heart. It’s honestly beautiful. I also really appreciate the humor he incorporates in Section 52. It’s amazing to read someone’s soul. Many times when we write, we try to sound perfect, we try to sound like someone else. Whitman on the other hand, openly confesses to contradicting himself. He wasn’t trying to incorporate confusing language, and lengthy lines. He was simply telling his thoughts. His path to transcendentalism, and I find it beautiful.┬áSection 52 was perhaps my favorite section. Possibly because he invited humor into his writing, but also because it’s real. He is saying that he has given his writing to the world. And as he returns to the earth, his writing will remain. He is dying, he has spent years of his life, dedicating himself to this poem, and this section perfectly captures his hope and ideals.┬áThe questions he is asking. Everyone has asked these questions. You can see this every day. Everyone is asking questions about who they are and what they’re doing. You yourself has asked these questions. Maybe you are still asking these questions. Maybe you have even found the answers. I know teenagers and young adults are trying to find the answers to these perpetual questions that weigh on each individual and society as a whole. Also the practice of talking instead of doing. Everyone seems to have an opinion about what should happen or what you should do, but when it comes down to it, they do not take their own advice. Asking questions instead of trying to find the answers. it’s much easier to ask someone else, or find someone else’s answers and opinion instead of forming your own. Especially with the entire world at our fingertips, laziness has skyrocketed. And also the practice of following instead of leading. Of course it’s easier to follow a path than make your own. Honestly, I do not really have any questions or concerns, and I’ve expressed all my thoughts already. I think we talked in depth about the poem, and for the most part I understand it. Or maybe I don’t understand it at all and this confusion runs so deep I can’t formulate a questions. Anyway, I wouldn’t rate this poem. It’s a beautiful piece of work, and to “rate” it would diminish the integrity or it. Although, the poem was stunning.