I still have to do this

I always forget that a plot diagram is not really a perfect dome, it’s like an awkward mountain. This isn’t what my blog is going to be about, but it was just something interesting that I was reminded of. Milieu, the specific feeling of a specific people at a specific time. The setting is usually a very critical element in a story, and milieu helps further the setting.

A book I read years ago was called the book thief, it was about a preteen girl who was taken in by her foster parents during the holocaust in Germany. Her foster family takes in a Jewish man named Max, and the entire story is told by death. In the book, society, and mainly the Nazi party, felt hatred towards Jewish people, as everyone knows. Also, books were banned and burned. The main character, Liesel, was fascinated by books, and bonded with Max through the love of words. Milieu is very influential throughout the story. When I read the book for the first time, when i was much younger, I didn’t fully know the feelings society, in Germany and many other countries, was experiencing.

Liesel stole books from book burnings, and even the wife of the mayor. I couldn’t understand why reading was such a taboo under the Nazi regime. She was essentially going against the government, but I never really thought about it like that until we had milieu in our notes. Consciously I didn’t connect the feelings of people at that time to what Liesel was doing, between stealing books, and befriending Max, Liesel was accidentally rebelling against those in power at that time. Thinking back to when I read that book, and knowing now how milieu can shape a story, I see Liesel as more mature and defiant character.

Week 2 was much better than week 1. The first few days I was a nervous wreck, but by week 2 I got back into the swing of things. I enjoy all my classes, and now that we’ve gotten past all the intros in each class, which by the way are mind numbing, I’ve gotten back into the swing of things. But I still hate Mondays.